Sigh... another fight


That there is Juju. She's hiding in the corner behind my glider. She is sporting a pink bandage on her front paw and the cone of shame.

The pups got into a fight this morning. It's been a while since their last fight. The two of them were outside in the backyard, and I think they were chasing a chipmunk or something like that. It must have been running around inside the gutters. Anyways, the two of them would make a horrible pack in the wild. They don't cooperate to get prey; they compete against each other.

Her paw was bleeding and we took her to the vet. It's a good thing that she is so well-mannered with people, so that she could be checked out and treated. Loki is also sporting some damage to his face. But his cuts weren't as severe as Juju's, so we left him alone. And well, if we really had to take him to the vet after a fight, we'd have to crate him to be transported and then he'd probably have to be sedated just for the vet to check him out.

To say I'm frustrated with Loki is an understatement. I was frustrated two years ago. I'm way past frustration now. I feel like I'm just surviving with him. Trying to make it through the day with him, one day at a time.

4 comments:

jen said...

that sucks...

have you thought about talking with his breeder about possible temperament issues in his lines? or do think ultimately this was from his early development/training.

don't you wish you could have a ten second conversation with dogs sometimes? just so they get that they don't need to be a certain way - that life is good, just chill? I do, anyway.

Paul said...

It's so frustrating to have a pet like that...I just thank God ours is a cat, a few jets of water from the spry bottle and he beets a retreat. Still, it isn't fun trying to explain to guests which one is the "mean" cat when he and his brother look so similar and his brother wouldn't hurt a fly.

Any luck with finding a new behaviorist? I have to say, switching to a spay bottle for discipline and trying to allow Griffon to find a "safe" place to observe company from has seemed to make a difference. I think you can improve an animals behavior by changing up how you handle them, even if they may never be completely "cured"

Anonymous said...

Wow, sounds like the Two Bows, sort of. They got into it this week, TWICE, over squirrels on the fence. 'Pi was scuffed up, but nothing that seemed worth going to the vet for. Mostly there's a lot of screaming, but it's clear that the Shiba is the one with the temper.

In my case, I don't have a breeder I can consult. And a behaviorist is not in the cards for us, partly because I don't think our problems seem so severe, largely due to cost and time, but also because my partner and I have differing opinions on that score. What I find rational and positive, he finds patronizing and overly "touchy-feely." It's not even a matter of training philosophies, you know, but personality...

Which is all to say that I sympathize with all the ups and downs. These are not easy dogs.

BTW, I can't remember if you've mentioned this before, but have Loki's thyroids been tested? I feel like a hormone supplement salesman, since I ask this all the time, but it really is worth ruling out, at the very least...

double bean said...

I definitely feel your pain and we only have one troublemaker. It's hard to ride the wave of good times and the rock bottom.

I hope Jujube heals quickly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...