Still infected

Unfortunately, the culture results came back and E. Coli was detected in Jujube's urine. Now, we need to give her stronger antibiotics for three weeks. Apparently, she needs to be on human drugs, because the E. Coli is resistant to all the vet drugs. So off to the human pharmacy for us with a prescription from our vet.

The vet recommended a urinalysis and culture after the end of 1 week, 2 weeks, and 3 weeks. I'm not sure we're going to do all of that, as these tests are really expensive. The most important one is the test after the end of 3 weeks to make sure it's all cleared up. We might do one at the end of 1 week just to make sure the treatment is working and then at the end of 3 weeks. The vet gave us a urine cup and a collecting tray. It looks like a tray that you get french fries in. We'll also need to get some blood work done to make sure that it's not a kidney infection.

Poor Jujube.

7 comments:

Judy Whitton said...

Awww....poor baby! I sure hope she gets better soon! I wonder how she got the E Coli?

Jen said...

aw poor thing!

Prince Zuko's mom said...

Poor little girl! I'm sure she's getting extra scritches and all!

blue said...

I feel your pain. Those tests are really expensive. I used to have three old cats and my vet recommended me to let them have 2-3 routine check up tests a year for each of them as cats develope a kidney issue when they grow older. So I ended up taking one of them every month & half or so. I think about 80% that I spent for the vet care was for those tests, not for any actual treatment. So start saving some money for the Loki & Jujube's future when they get their senior age, along with your baby's collge fund. Hope she will feel better soon.

Unknown said...

Poor little girl, I hope she's getting better soon!

thepaisleyfox said...

Poor thing! Hope she feels better.

Another good way to collect a sample is with those disposable aluminum pie plates, covers more ground and can bend for a spout.

Unknown said...

Get well soon Jujube... Poor gal. Winnie gets UTIs frequently too, so much so that I just now give her Vitamin C and cranberry supplements with her raw food. It helps - no UTIs and her urine is not as alkaline. (I'm such a geek... I decided to start testing her urine with those pH strips!)

sorry for the babbling~ hope Jujube is feeling 100% soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...